The Municipal Administration
The republic of Congo is divided into departments and municipalities. These are governed by freely by elected councils. According to law No 11 – 2003 of 6 February 2003 bearing on the special statute of the cities of Brazzaville and Pointe-Noire, Naguère municipality in Brazzaville became a separate department. It is for this reason that we have departmental and municipal councils.
Municipal and departmental councils are elected through direct universal suffrage for a renewable term of 5 years. Each councillor is from a political party or a group of political parties.
The President of the Departmental and Municipal Council and the Mayor of the city is elected by his pairs.
The municipal organisation of Brazzaville’s council comprises:
- A President of the Departmental and Municipal Council/ Mayor;
- A first Vice President/ Deputy Mayor;
- A second Vice President/Second Deputy Mayor;
- A First Secretary of the Departmental Council;
- A Second Secretary of the Departmental Council.
Government services in these departments and council comprises, in addition to devolved services of civil administrations and law enforcement services, the following internal services:
- The Mayor’s Office;
- The General Secretariat of the Municipality;
- The Municipal Finance Directorate;
- The Directorate of Urban Land Management and Logistics;
- The Directorate of Markets and Halls;
- The Directorate of Communication and Sports;
- The Directorate of Urban Sanitation and the Environment;
- The Directorate of Funerals;
- The Directorate of Studies and Technical Control;
- The Social and Medical Directorate;
- The Directorate of Information;
- The Directorate of Culture and Tourism.
Each Directorate is run by a director who under whose authority is placed heads of services, sections and brigades.