Borough 3: Poto-Poto
Municipality 3 Poto-Poto extends to the North of the city centre to be bounded to the North-West by Municipality 4 Moungali, while Municipality 5 Ouenzé lies to the North of Poto-Poto. If Poto-Poto is bounded to the South-West by Bacongo, to the South and to the East, Poto-Poto is bathed by the majestic waters of River Congo. It has a population of 101.000 inhabitants with a surface area of 900 ha.
Administrator-Mayor: Mr. Jacques ELION
Secretary General : Mrs Augustine Sophie DOUNGOUS
Poto-Poto Mayor’s office
Rond Point Poto-Poto (intersection of Avenue de France and Avenue de la Paix)
Brazzaville, Republic of Congo
Tel: +242 22.260.00.72
Poto-poto is a village of colonial administrative creation from a group of camps of African workers and hamlets of the plain. In its evolution, it was populated by the riverside population of River Congo (the second largest river in the world, by virtue of its current, after the River Amazon), Upper Congo, Oubangui Chari and the Belgian Congo from where boats belonging to the colonial administration and to missionaries transported the people in their numbers to Brazzaville. This diversity gave Poto-Poto its two important traits of demographic affluence. The names of the oldest streets of the town suggests a very diversified and cosmopolitan ethnic composition of its first inhabitants in the image of its current population. Mongo, Dahomey, Yaoundé, Bangalas, Haoussas, Kassaï, Banziris, Bakongo, etc… people from Congo, Bas Congo, Central Africa and West Africa. Poto-Poto municipality was created in 1911 to become and indigenous council by Order N°2623 of 31 December 1943 of the Governor General of FEA, Officer of the Legion of Honour, Félix EBOUE.