The Departmental and Municipal Council
A view of members of Departmental and Municipal Council in session
Duties of the Departmental and Municipal Council
The departmental council settles departmental issues through deliberations in conformity with the law. It also serves as a consultative organ in the following areas:
- Investment plans and programmes ;
- Development master plans ;
The creation and demarcation of cities provided for in the social and economic development plan, as well as modification of the boundaries of district, urban councils and rural councils;
The departmental council may express a wish and voice an opinion on issues of national life and is always consulted to give its opinion development studies.
The departmental council meets thrice a year (February, May and September) during ordinary sessions but can meet in extraordinary sessions in cases of emergency.
The President of the Departmental and Municipal Council
The President of the Departmental and Municipal Council is the Chief Executive of the Department. He is charged with the following:
- Prepare Business Plans for submission to Council for deliberation;
- Preside over the sessions of the Council;
- Implement the decisions of the Board;
- Eloborate a develop programme for the Department;
- Develop and implement the budget;
- Recruit and appoint staff to local jobs;
- Conclude contracts for the Department;
- Manage the heritage of the Department;
- Coordinate and direct the services of the Department;
- Represent the Department in legal proceedings;
- Take urgent measures in the event of exceptional situations.
The President of the Council coordinates all activities of the Department and manages the Department’s budget.
The 1st Vice-President of the Departmental and Municipal Council
The 1st Vice-President manages the Council in the absence of the Preisdent. The President delegates powers to the Vice-President.
The 1st Secretary of the Departmental Council
The 1st Secretary of the Departmental Council organizes and follows up on Executive Council meetings. He/she is responsible for the maintening the documents and archives of the Executive Council and serves as a rapporteur for the Council.